No woman can truly be the confident woman she was meant to be without having the confidence to be strong, secure, and savvy.
The problem is, we’re not all blessed with the inborn sense of confidence some women have. Many of us have to work at it.
The good news is, confidence IS something you can develop, even if you’ve never been all that confident before. Here are seven simple ways to do that:
- Do Something Good For Someone Else – It doesn’t matter how big or small the deed is, the fact is that good deeds gives us a tremendous dose of inward-focused good will. And when you feel good about who you are, it’s easy to be strong and confident.
- Play A Role – Believe it or not, half the confidence you perceive in others is just them pretending to be the strong person you think they are – except after a while, it ceases to be pretending and becomes real. So play a role. Put on a fantastic outfit that makes you look strong and confident, and pretend to be the confident person you want to be. Before long, fantasy will become reality.
- Smile – It’s that simple. Smiles are a powerful thing. They influence those around you, and they also have an impact on the way we feel about ourselves. Put on a smile for no reason at all and you WILL begin to feel good about who you are.
- Put On A Bold New Outfit – Few things are as invigorating as putting on a great new outfit and hitting the town. You look good, you feel good, and those good feelings extend to every other part of your life.
- Frequently Try New Things – We’re not necessarily talking about skydiving or learning to fight bulls. Even small, simple things such as trying a meal you’ve never had before or wearing a style of top you’ve never worn before can have a big impact on your self confidence. New things embolden you, and when you’re emboldened, you feel good about your ability to take on anything the world throws at you.
- Be Who YOU Want To Be – If you feel as if you are constantly trying to live up to the image others expect of you, you are not alone. That feeling is something women have to deal with every day. But wait, let’s correct that: We don’t HAVE to deal with it, not if we don’t want to. Instead of being who others want you to be, proudly embrace who you ARE. You’ll be amazed at how good you feel about it.
- Be Judgment Free – One of the best ways to alleviate the sting of judgment is to be free from judgment ourselves. Accept others for who they are and be more open about embracing the incredible ways in which women can differ from one another, and you’ll find those feelings begin to transfer inward, too. Free yourself from judgment and self-confidence will follow.
The beautiful thing about these suggestions is that not only do they actually work, they are something you can easily start to incorporate into your life right NOW.
So what are you waiting for? Become the woman you were always meant to be!
We all want to live better. We want happiness. We want to look in the mirror and know the person staring back at us is amazing (and trust us, she is).
That all begins with feeling better – and not just physically, but mentally, too. Life can be stressful. That’s just the way the world is built. But all that stress can melt away and be replaced by something far more powerful only if we’re able to change the way we react to the world.
Of course, getting into a better frame of mind is important, but perhaps more important is how you get to that place. It’s not enough to just feel good. You have to feel good about your journey there, too.
So how do we get there? How do we reach a place where problems become minor distractions on the way to being the amazing you that you deserve to be? Here are five simple things you can start doing right NOW:
- Eat Right – Eating right is its own reward in many ways, but maybe the best reward is how good you feel when you eat right. It’s nice to be healthy and it’s great to feel good about how you look, but most important of all is the inner sense of well-being that comes with living a healthy life.
- Get A Massage – Relaxing. Being pampered. Having the tension released from your body. We all need these temporary respites from the stress of our daily lives. Tiny escapes like these allow us to recharge our mental energy, which in turn allows us to face any challenge life throws our way.
- Take a Tea Break – We love a cup of coffee as much as the next person, but the next time you need to take a five-minute break from your stressful afternoon, try a cup of tea instead. Herbal, please. The warm liquid and heady aromas can help you clear your mind and bring you a much-needed sense of relaxation. Philosophies focused on inner peace come from the same part of the world as tea for a reason, after all.
- Stretch in the Sun – It’s the simple things that improve our lives the most. If you don’t believe us, try incorporating something as simple as a morning stretch in the sun into your day. There is no need to make it complicated. Just step outside – onto your porch, into your garden, onto your balcony, or wherever else you can – reach your arms to the sky, and stretch out your tension. Be sure to linger outside for a few minutes after you do to soak up some sun. You’ll not only feel renewed each morning, you’ll be getting some vitamin D, too.
- Get Creative – There are few ways of understanding ourselves better and of developing a sense of well being that are as powerful as having a creative outlet. At Andrea Lopresti Fine Jewelry, we’re blessed to have an opportunity to be creative every day when we design our handmade fine jewelry. For others, it’s simply a matter of finding a little time each day and the right way to occupy it. You don’t have to devote yourself to painting or other such pursuits (unless you want to, of course). Even something as simple as artfully arranging flowers allows you to get into a frame of mind you may not usually explore – and that’s something worth pursuing.
These are simple things to incorporate into your life, but the results will not be simple. They will be positively transforming.
There is power in jewelry and clothing. It should come as no surprise that at Andrea Lopresti Fine Jewelry we believe fashion is more than clothing, style, and accessories. It’s also a form of artistic expression that can be deeply personal. It’s a way to speak to the world about who you are.
What may surprise you is that there is strong scientific evidence that not only are we correct to think of jewelry and fashion in this way, but that we might not be taking that thought far enough.
A Reflection of our Inner Self
A study by Professor Karen Pine of the University of Hertfordshire indicates that fashion choices can have a significant impact in boosting confidence levels. Pine’s book, “Mind What You Wear,” outlines her findings in detail. She says we are all aware that our clothing has an impact on what others think of us, but we’re now learning that that same jewelry and clothing also has a subconscious impact on how we feel about ourselves.
Pine said her book includes “tips on how to feel happier and more confident with the right clothes, explaining not only that we are what we wear, but that we become what we wear.”
JEWELRY AS A Way to Boost Your Confidence
A study in the Journal of Experimental Psychology came to a similar conclusion, showing that our choice of outfit can boost our confidence, make us feel better about who we are, and make us feel more capable of facing life’s challenges.
Dr. Samantha Boardman writes, “When you wear something that makes you feel great, the effects may be subtle — the way you tilt your head, your facial expressions and your body language — but they matter. It sends a message that you care about yourself. When we look good, we feel good — and vice versa.”
A Means to Change Ourselves
Clinical psychology Jennifer Baumgartner wrote the book “You Are What You Wear,” which outlines not only the idea that our choices in clothing reveal something about ourselves – that’s obvious to anyone who loves fashion – but also explores the notion that we can help ourselves overcome inner difficulties by changing our wardrobe.
“When you dress in a certain way, it helps shift your internal self,” explains Dr. Baumgartner. “We see that when we do makeovers, and even actors say that putting on a costume facilitates expression of character. That’s just as true for everyday life.”
But since clothing and jewelry are as legitimate an art form as painting, film or photography, that should come as no surprise. So open your closet or jewelry box and realize that what’s inside can change who you are for the better.
Nothing tarnishes a cherished memory more than seeing your precious silver jewelry begin to go off color.
If your beautiful silver piece or family heirloom is starting to turn brown, there is no need to panic. It may be possible to restore your jewelry to its former luster. Here are some simple tips on how to restore minor blemishes:
- First, gather silver polish, cotton swabs & cotton balls, nitrate gloves, a sponge, and a microfiber towel (to prevent scratching).
- Next, while wearing the gloves, gently rinse your silver piece under cool water. You want to remove any particles of loose dirt.
- Then, dry the piece with the towel.
- After that, pour a small amount of silver polish onto the sponge and gently rub a section of the jewelry with left to right or up and down motions.
- Rinse off the polish and start again every 30 seconds or so until this portion of the jewelry is clean of tarnish, then move on to another section. Use the cotton swabs (with polish) to get to difficult sections or etched/engraved areas.
- Finally, soak some cotton balls in warm water and gently wipe down the silver, then pat dry with the towel.
The process can take a long time, so be patient! And remember, your precious jewelry is always better off in the hands of an expert. If you are unsure of what you are doing, save the cleaning for people who do this for a living!
Summer is here! We’re as excited as you are, but we also know that the burning hot, sunny days of summer mean you have to pay special attention to your skin if you want to look your best now and for years to come.
If you are ready to have great summer skin, start with these basic tips.
- As you get closer to the warmer weather, exfoliate and moisturize. The winter leaves your skin dry and flaky, so be prepared to ease your skin into the summer months. By the time summer gets here, your skin will be ready.
- When going to the beach, be sure to use sunscreen with a high SPF of 30 or more, and make sure you use water resistant sunscreen. You’ll be able to stay longer while minimizing burn risk.
- Indulge in great skin care products. Take care of your skin and it will take care of you.
- Whenever possible, find oil-free sunscreen to maintain healthy pores and to prevent breakouts.
- Great tip: you can “pre-load” sunscreen prior to a beach vacation. Each night for two weeks prior to your vacation, apply sunscreen. It will build in your skin, making you less likely to burn.
- Consider facial mists, which replenish minerals vital to healthy looking skin.
- Exfoliate more often during the summer. Your pores are larger, more open, and thus more noticeable during hot, humid weather. An extra exfoliation session each week will help counteract this.
With these simple tips, you’ll be looking great this summer!
Much like fine jewelry, the wristwatch has done more than make a comeback in recent years, it has reasserted itself to the point where it has become the ultimate status symbol, surpassing even a person’s automobile. Yet that leaves those who have never immersed themselves in the world of fine timepieces with a dilemma: How do you choose the right one?
Don’t worry, we can help. Keep these tips in mind when choosing a luxury wristwatch and you’ll make a choice that will last a lifetime:
Know Your Wardrobe – Modern wristwatches can be slim and sleek. They can be large and imposing. They can incorporate bold silver and platinum, classic brown and Earth tones, or even washes of bright, bold color. The right watch, therefore, depends on the kind of wardrobe you prefer.
Remember Your Lifestyle – An active lifestyle requires a more robust watch. A sports watch should be able to take a little bit of punishment. Are there boats in your life? Then consider water-resistant or waterproof features. Every facet of the way you live your life can influence the best watch for you.
Explore The Features – A wristwatch can be more than a timepiece these days. Some track days, weeks, and months. Some track the time in multiple time zones. Some include a compass. Others have heart rate monitors. Some even contain small GPS units. Know what you want out of your watch and it will serve you for many years to come.
Reflect Your Style – Whether bold and strong or subtle and classic, your wristwatch should embody your own sense of style. These days, luxury watches can reflect a simple, almost retro style, but they can also boast complex, elaborate designs for those who have a strong presence. The trick is finding the approach that suits your personality.
Choose A Watchmaker – Just like with a luxury automobile, when you invest in a luxury timepiece you’ll want to know it is in good hands if it needs repairs. For example, the fact that we have an in-house watchmaker should give you the confidence you need to wear your watch with pride.
Seek Out Experts – That’s why experts exists. Use their years of experience to help you choose the very best.
These days, one of the hottest home businesses on sites like Etsy and Pinterest is jewelry making. For some, it’s a casual pastime pursued in the name of relaxation and giving away personal gifts to friends and family. For others, it’s a legitimate business. And for all, it’s an art, a passion, and a labor of love
No matter which side of the jewelry making fence you fall on, we think you’ll find these tips helpful!
Keep It Simple – When designing, especially with focal beads, simplicity is your friend. After all, your goal is to showcase the bead, not drown it out.
Beware Colored Hemp – When using hemp twine, steer clear of colored hemp. It is less durable and more likely to fray and break. Always choose natural hemp whenever possible.
Hemp And Water Don’t Mix – Hemp jewelry does not play nicely with water, so avoid swimming or showering while wearing it. Remember, hemp jewelry is not like a waterproof luxury watch!
Artificially Age Your Silver – You can give your sterling silver jewelry an antique look by placing it in a baggie with a chopped up boiled egg for a few hours. The sulfur in the egg yolk will react with the silver to “age” it. Remove and wash when it has darkened to the tone you want to achieve.
Don’t Practice With Sterling Silver – If you are new to wire work, give your wallet a break and use craft wire or copper from the hardware store instead. Do this until you feel good about your technique. Only then should you improvise with sterling silver.
Make Perfect Wire Loops – Using round-nosed pliers takes a lot of practice. If you’re having a touch time, use a delicate touch when gripping the wire with the pliers. This will prevent you from damaging and twisting the wire too much.
Crimp Down Wire End Pieces – Using crimping pliers to tone down those little end pieces of wire.
It’s no secret that we love Italy. Much of our handmade fine jewelry is inspired by the people, culture, and history of Italy, after all. It is a huge inspiration in everything we do!
So today we thought we’d bring you five GREAT reasons to book a trip to Italy. Because believe us, it’s worth the trip.
Reasons don’t get much better than this. This stunning historic city is one of the most beautiful and romantic in the world. There is no place like Venice in the world. See it once and it will be instant love.
Everyone should visit Rome at least once in their life. Yes, it’s a tourist hot spot and one of the first places people visiting Italy go, but that’s okay. The history is so rich you’ll be fine dealing with a few crowds, and the sights, sounds and food are worth it.
When it comes to the top 3 must-visit cities in Italy, Florence is right up there – and for some it may even be the best. It’s small enough to be walkable, and just gorgeous in every way with lots to see and do. Florence is one of those cities that once you see it, you never forget it.
4. Cinque Terre
If you want a laid back, slow-paced place on the sea to unwind, this is where you want to be. No giant resorts or hotels here, just small, cozy places in a region that is spectacular in every way. For those who want quiet beauty, this is where to find it.
Lovers of food and wine will want to include Tuscany on their itinerary. It’s a place to indulge in some of the world’s best, with fantastic places to dine and great winery tours.
Where do YOU love to go in Italy? Follow us on Facebook and tell us in the comments!
A life without expression is a meaningless one. Whether expressing your emotions, your artistic impulses, or your views, what are we here for if not to share ourselves with others?
Just as important, it’s difficult (if not impossible) to find real peace with ourselves without also learning how to express ourselves. We have things inside us that need to get out. If we don’t let them out, we’ll burst. That’s why we love designing handmade jewelry for a living!
So you HAVE to learn how to express what’s inside you. Here are five ways to do it, even if you don’t have an artistic bone in your body:
5) Take Paint to Canvas
It doesn’t matter if you’ve never painted before. This isn’t about recreating the Mona Lisa, it’s about expressing yourself. Paint and canvas is available at your local craft store, and it’s more affordable than you think. Place a sea of white in front of you. Now cover it in splashes of color. Whatever you like. Whatever you feel. Indulge in pure, no-rules expression for its own sake, just like you did when finger-painting as a child. You’ll find it cathartic.
4) Put Words on a Page
Few ways of providing yourself with an emotional and intellectual outlet are as satisfying as simply writing what’s on your mind. It not only feels good to get your thoughts down on paper or onto the screen, it helps you gather your thoughts in a way merely thinking about them can’t do. Further, seeing your words in print helps you understand the way you’re feeling in a way you hadn’t before. Best of all? Doing this won’t cost you a nickel.
There aren’t many things more pure, primal, and freeing than dancing. It’s part of who we are as human beings. It touches a place so far inside ourselves we often forget that it’s there. When we do find that place of pure expression, we feel free. We feel a sense of release. Sometimes, if you find that you have something inside you that needs to come out – tension, joy, or just a cry of “I am alive!” – nothing expresses it better than dancing without a care in the world.
2) Put Together a New Outfit
Our clothing and fine handmade jewelry does more than just cover our bodies. It’s an expression of who we are, how we feel, and how we see the world. It is art by any measure of the term. That’s why one of the best feelings in the world is putting together a new outfit. Finding a top, pairing it with accessories, matching it with a skirt – that is a very real act of expression, and a deeply personal one at that. Embrace it!
1) Create Collage Art
The wonderful thing about self-expression is that it can take many forms, and the wonderful thing about art is that despite what others might tell you, it requires no formal training. Collage art is a good example of that. Take clippings from magazines and books and papers. Lay them out, assemble them, glue and tape and stitch them together however you like. Add flower petals and splashes of paint or drips of wax from your favorite candle. There are no rules. The only rule is to free yourself.
There are countless other ways to express yourself, of course. The one you choose is not important. What is important is that you find an outlet of some kind. Find what works for you and you’ll find that life’s roller coaster ride becomes far gentler.
Happiness, joy, contentment, being able to appreciate a wisp of cloud tracing a line across the sky … these things come only when we have found a way to feel good about who we are. That kind of inner peace is important to everything in our lives, from finding love to excelling at our jobs.
But there are wiser people than us who have had more insightful things to say about the topic. Here are six quotes that stick with us:
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
The simplicity of Gandhi’s statement does not diminish its power. Think about what he is saying here. He is saying that you are more powerful than you realize; that you are in control of how you feel, no one else, and only those who you’ve let in can have an effect on you. It’s an emboldening thing to consider.
“The best fighter is never angry.”
― Lao Tzu
Taken from the Tao Te Ching, the meaning here is simple: don’t let your emotions take charge. Being a strong, assertive woman means understanding your own strength and using it to your benefit rather than letting it use you.
“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”
― Gautama Buddha
The beauty and joy of artistic expression comes from within, so should it be any surprise that true peace comes from that same place? We don’t find joy in external things, but rather in the way we internalize external things. In other words, it’s not the full moon’s light playing off the water of the lake that swells our heart, it’s what we take from that image. It comes from inside. True happiness, real happiness, does not come from diamonds or men, it begins inside you.
“We don’t realize that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme self who is eternally at peace.”
― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
We all know that this person is inside us, the trick is finding them. At Andrea Lopresti Fine Jewelry, we’re blessed to be able to reach out to that person and express that sense of peace, boldness, and joy in our handmade jewelry. You might need another path, but make no mistake, the path exists. No matter what’s happening in your life, somewhere inside you is the person you long to be: At peace with yourself. Calm. And open to all the world’s possibilities.
“We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
None of us are without turmoil in our lives. It’s impossible to avoid it entirely. How the ups and downs of life affect us, though, depends on how well we’ve managed to accept who we are. All your power as a woman stems from it. Your confidence. Your creativity. Your ability to take life’s lemons and make lemonade. It all begins by being comfortable with who you are.
“Nothing external to you has any power over you.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
We’ve talked a lot about being comfortable with who you are, but the world doesn’t always make that easy, does it? You’re told you have to look a certain way. You have to act a certain way. You have to take certain jobs. But none of that is true. The world can ask what it wants of you, but far more important is what YOU want of the world. All those messages bombarding you to be a woman you don’t want to be? They only have power if you let them.
Get outside, breath the open air, dance. Embrace who you are and everything that follows becomes better as a result.